Re: What improvements would be truly useful?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: What improvements would be truly useful?
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 15:20:58 +0200

> From: Philipp Stephani <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 21:45:46 +0000
> Cc: Daniele Nicolodi <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
>  If you have ideas for how to achieve that, I'd be interested to hear
>  them.
>
> By adding a gtkterm.c, that does the same as w32term.c, just for GTK, without
> referring to X.org in any way?
> The cleanup would then consist in removing all GTK functionality from xterm.c
> once gtkterm.c is stable.

(I guess you meant removing GTK-related portions of xfns.c as well?)

If you look at these two files, you will see that the GTK-specific
snippets in them are a few and far between.  Most of the code is
generic.  So I think making separate gtkterm.c/gtkfns.c will risk
duplicating a lot of code, something we already have with w32 and ns
ports, and such duplication is undesirable.  But maybe I'm missing
something.

My understanding of this sub-thread was that the idea was to separate
GTK _architecturally_, not just making it yet another display
back-end.