Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be t

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Towards a WYSIWYG word processing (was: What improvements would be truly useful?)
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 15:36:50 +0200

> From: John Yates <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 18:29:45 -0500
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, John Wiegley <address@hidden>,
> address@hidden,
>       Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> My skepticism is around the experience of authoring those  documents.
> Until we have something akin to  paragraph styles and templates that
> experience is going to feel primitive and tedious.  Hence my contention
> that if we are going after the WYSIWYG use case then we need more
> or uptake simply will not occur.

We have very different experiences with styles and templates, it
seems.  I hate them and rarely if ever use them in the documents I
need to write on my daytime job (and I write quite a few of them).
IME, styles in Office like applications get in the way too much, in
that you change something at some place, and suddenly many unrelated
places change as well.

So I prefer applying styles by hand, locally wherever I need that.  It
works wonders on my productivity.