Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 b1aaa72: Improve documentation of Xref

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 b1aaa72: Improve documentation of Xref
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 22:34:10 +0200

On 3/12/18 6:04 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

This is not about fairness at all, and I'm surprised, to say the
least, that you judge the text in these terms.

Just talking about what impression the wording might leave. Your new update is better, thank you.

This is about describing a command whose only raison d'ĂȘtre is to
provide a "fire escape" when the default method invoked by M-. fails
to find identifiers, because for some reason they are "out of scope"
for that default method.

I didn't mean to ascribe any ill intent to the author.

More importantly, I think the Reddit user's problem (which has probably
resulted in this manual update) was that they thought, for some reason, that
xref-find-definitions will always use the tags table. And that them visiting it
should affect what xref-find-definitions finds.

No, I wrote that because it took me some time to find this command,
although I vaguely remembered something like that should be possible.

Still, there is that scenario from Reddit:

"M-. (bound to xref-find-definitions) can't find any definitions. I visit-tags-file, set tags-file-name and tags-table-list manaully, generated the file with etags and ctags, everything. No luck"

Basically, there was no reason to expect navigation to those symbols to work, except that the user had created and visited a tags table containing them. So I think the surprise really was that M-. didn't use the current tags table.

So if there's some place in the manual that leaves them with that impression, I
think it should be updated.

Feel free to point out such place(s) if you find them.

Upon re-reading, I think the manual is indeed pretty clear. And we can ascribe the problem mostly to old habits.

Irrelevant.  Once again, this command is only for when M-. fails to
find identifiers, something that shouldn't happen with those more
powerful facilities.

Nothing is perfect, and I'm sure there will be cases when a user sees a search fail using one of these more advanced systems. The right course of action there would be to refine their configuration and/or report bugs to appropriate places, and only then maybe try etags (which could still produce worse results).

Anyway, I don't have any significant improvements to suggest over the current wording, in this regard.

Thanks, but I see no reason to cloud the issue by refraining from
clearly identifying the situation where this command could be useful.
So I changed the text to make it more accurate, in the hope that it
will no longer lend itself to interpretation that prompted your
reaction.

It's better, thank you.

Also after re-reading, I see some duplication with what's been said before about how a backend can implement its capabilities in different ways ("built-in means for looking up"), that first item already lists the disadvantages. BTW, you mentioned the auto-loaded functions in the new description of xref-etags-mode, but not in the aforementioned section above, which is arguably more important.

Anyway, these are minor things, and I don't have any concrete proposals here.