Re: package-initialize warning despite no package-initialize

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: package-initialize warning despite no package-initialize
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2018 18:47:52 +0200

On Sun, 25 Mar 2018 17:32:18 +0200 Stephen Berman <address@hidden> wrote:

> I just updated and rebuilt emacs from master for the first time since
> the changes involving package-initialize in 24acb31c04 and 2db57579b0.
> On restarting emacs with my initializations I got the warning "Warning
> (package): Unnecessary call to ‘package-initialize’ in init file", since
> I still had `(package-initialize)' in my init file.  Following the
> advice in the doc string of package-initialize I removed that sexp and
> restarted emacs, but still get the warning.  I do not have an early init
> file and I rebuilt with `make bootstrap'.  I grepped for
> package-initialize and found no calls to it in files in my load-path
> other than startup.el.  Is the doc string wrong or is there something
> else causing that warning that I've overlooked?  In any case, how do I
> get rid of this warning?
>
> Another surprising thing is that, although emacs-26 does not have the
> above changes and hence AFIU should still need `(package-initialize)' in
> the init file, yet starting emacs-26 with the same init file lacking
> this sexp, my packages nevertheless are immediately available (I infer
> this because my init file calls `pdf-tools-install' from the pdf-tools
> package and viewing PDF files does indeed use this package in emacs-26
> just as in emacs from master).  That is, it seems that
> package-initialize is not needed in the init file in emacs-26 either, or
> have I misunderstood this too?
>
> Steve Berman

This was a false alarm, sorry.  Both master and emacs-26 work as
expected.  (I have both the file ~/.emacs.d/init.el, which is my real
init file, as well as the file ~/.emacs, which is needed by one of the
GNU/Linux systems I have and loads the former file; I had neglected to
remove `(package-initialize)' from the latter file.)

Steve Berman