msys2 building issue

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: msys2 building issue
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:20:34 +0100

I'm struggling with an issue with the snapshot build for windows. I have
a small script that in turn runs admin/nt/dist-build/build-zips.sh. The
build times (based on when the output files are created) make no sense.

x86_64
no-deps zip    17min
Deps-zip       3min
installer      25min

i686
no deps zip    31min
deps zip       47min
installer      61min

So, the installer is really slow to build (probably because of the
compression I guess). But the second i686 step is really slow,
especially the building the zips and installer.

I don't think this is the Emacs build per se; it looks to me like a
memory leak; the build process just gets slower and slower. In fact,
I've had to reduce the parallalism of make or the whole process crashes
with a resource allocation error. But Process Manager reports that the
VM has memory left.

I ask about all this, because I have no idea how to debug this further,
and I thought someone might have an idea.

My launch script is below, and build-zips.sh is in the repo.

#!/bin/bash

set -o errexit

## List the ssh-keys -- this has the crashes the script if there are none
ssh-add -l

pushd master/admin/nt/dist-build

## Update repo
git pull

./build-zips.sh -sn | tee ../../../../build.log

popd

pushd master
## Make the source so we can distribute it, but don't update because
## we've build in a different directory. --no-changelog is also needed
## because otherwise we run make which runs configure
./make-dist --snapshot --no-check --no-changelog
rename .tar _`date +%Y-%m-%d`.tar emacs*.tar.gz
mv emacs-*.tar.gz ~/emacs-upload
popd