Re: msys2 building issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: msys2 building issue
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2018 15:22:28 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 22:20:34 +0100
>
> x86_64
> no-deps zip    17min
> Deps-zip       3min
> installer      25min
>
> i686
> no deps zip    31min
> deps zip       47min
> installer      61min
>
> So, the installer is really slow to build (probably because of the
> compression I guess). But the second i686 step is really slow,
> especially the building the zips and installer.

Does this happen only when building both the 64-bit and the 32-bit
zips?  What if you build only the 32-bit one -- do you get the same
slow times?

My next suspect is the way MSYS2 lets you build 32-bit binaries.  I
know nothing about that, all I see is that you set 2 environment
variables, but could that cause Bash or Make or some other component
to run out of memory due to a bug or a memory leak?

> I don't think this is the Emacs build per se; it looks to me like a
> memory leak; the build process just gets slower and slower. In fact,
> I've had to reduce the parallalism of make or the whole process crashes
> with a resource allocation error.

Which program reports the error?

> But Process Manager reports that the VM has memory left.

What does Task Manager say about memory consumption of the various
programs involved in the build, like Bash, Make, and Python?  Do you
see their memory growing to values that are unreasonably large?

The slow-down could be caused by memory consumption, so it's possible
the actual problem is with memory, not with slow builds.