Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 613c9a5: Update Org to v9.1.9

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 613c9a5: Update Org to v9.1.9
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 15:40:19 +0300

> From: Rasmus <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 14:30:18 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Sorry about the late reply.  I have been travelling.

No need to apologize, we all have our "real" lives.

> >>     Update Org to v9.1.9
> >>
> >>     Please note this is a bugfix release. See etc/ORG-NEWS for details.
> >
> > Thanks, but this merge should have been discussed first.  Most of its
> > changes are no-brainers, but some are non-trivial, and we should have
> > talked about them before the merge, to make sure we understand all the
> > tradeoffs, and indeed the changes are safe for Emacs 26.1.
>
> These should all be bugfixes and should not alter features.  In general,
> minor release changes relate to bug reports on the Org mailing list or
> debbugs.

I understand, but experience taught me that different people tend to
see bugfixes from different perspectives and assess their risks
differently.  It's quite possible that, have you described the
non-trivial changes, we'd all agree that they are safe enough.  But it
could be that some of them would have been considered too risky.

> Are there any changes in particular that are concerning?

I was generally worried by all the non-trivial, non-documentation
changes, because this merge came so late in the pretest process.  I
didn't review them thoroughly enough to say anything specific, or
focus on any of them in particular.