Should wide-int be registered in features?

From: Rocky Bernstein
Subject: Should wide-int be registered in features?
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 18:12:03 -0400

.. or in system-configuration. And/or shown in emacs-version

Recently I was reading the thread "Floating-point constant folding in Emacs byte compiler", and it looks like, as of now, most (or all) of the issues raised have been resolved in the byte-code optimizer.

Although I'm happy that things are fixed now, there a part of me that asks: what might have help detection and prevention of such a problem?

I think there should be a simple program to do some sanity checking of bytecode before it gets run to warn of potential problems or worse does partial execution work and then crashes.

I've mentioned this in the past, but I now realize that I can write such a lint checker in Elisp Lisp as a side package.

But there are a couple additional features that might be helpful, both in such a bytecode lint program and independent of that: whether emacs was built with --with-wide-int.

My understanding of the floating-point-constant bug is that the behavior is different between optimizaition on builds that differ using this option.

Other things like x-toolkit, gtk, multi-tty, are listed in features. Should wide-int be something like this?