Re: Should wide-int be registered in features?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Should wide-int be registered in features?
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 20:56:42 -0400

> "should" is not the same thing as "does". If I have this correct knowing
> this and knowing how the bytecode was created would have been helpful.

You seem to refer to a known case where you think this would have been
useful, but I don't know what that case is.  AFAIK the recent
discussions were mostly concerned about whether Emacs's integers were
30bit or 62bit, which you can readily test by looking at
most-positive-fixnum or by checking something like (zerop (expt 2 40)).

> Also, I believe there are performance differences and differences
> in capabilities. e.g --with-wide-int adds:
>>  buffer and string size up to 2GB on 32-bit hosts, at the cost of 10% to
>> 30% slowdown of Lisp
> and how inside of Emacs is one supposed to know if this is in effect?

Why/when would Elisp need to know?  The same slowdown could occur
because of load on the machine.  Similar object size limits could come
from the OS rather than from the way Emacs was compiled.

        Stefan