Re: The importance of secrecy (was: EWW improvements: open in new buffer

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: The importance of secrecy (was: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engines, ...)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2018 22:16:18 +0200

On Tue, Apr 24 2018, Stefan Monnier wrote:
There's a privacy issue here, though, so it should be possible to switch it off. And perhaps eww should have a porn, I mean anonymous, mode

BTW, I think using "porn" as a humorous justification for secrecy is detrimental since it promotes the view that secrecy is only used for objectionable activities, along the lines of "I don't need secrecy
because I have nothing to hide".

Note that these "anonymous" modes that modern browser implement really only serve to hide one's browsing history from family members and flat/room/office mates that you share your computer with. It has nothing to do with secrecy or anonymity on the internet. So porn-mode really isn't that much of a misnomer.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments