Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engin

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: EWW improvements: open in new buffer, tags, quickmarks, search engines, ...
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 12:30:14 +0530

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

> It seems a bit silly for EWW to have its own, limited form
> of "bookmarking".  Perhaps it's time for it to graduate to
> Emacs bookmarks?

You mean bookmark+, right?

As far as I understand, Emacs native bookmarks won't work with EWW.
`M-x bookmark-set' complains the the EWW buffer does not point to a real file.

 AFAICT, everything you've mentioned so far as possible
> improvements of EWW pseudo-bookmarking is already
> available with Bookmark+ real bookmarks.  Why reinvent
> the wheel and remain incompatible with Emacs bookmarks?
>
> Bookmark+ is in fact a superset of vanilla `bookmark.el'.
> It could just replace it in Emacs.
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BookmarkPlus#CyclingNavlist

Thanks for all those good points.

For clarification, I never said I was opposed to bookmark+, I agree
merging it (or parts of it) would probably be the best path to follow.
I need to work on it.

That said, a few issues I can see at first glance:

- The package is published on Emacs Wiki.  There does not seem to be any
  version control.

- It's under GPL license, but I wonder if the lack of version control
  could hinder the copyright assignment process.  From the comments,
  Drew Adams and Thierry Volpiatto seem to be the only two authors.
  Drew, can you confirm?

- The package is _huge_!  About 30k+ lines.  It might require a lot of
  work to review it and to integrate the needed parts into Emacs.

What do you think?

--
Pierre Neidhardt