Re: Question about defcustom and :set-after

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Question about defcustom and :set-after
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 18:33:00 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> So I started writing support for a Gnus mock environment: you call
>> `gnus-mock' and it starts up a Gnus session completely independent of
>> your own Gnus customizations, that has some dummy data in it that gets
>> flushed and restored each time you restart the mock session.
>
> Sounds really useful.
>
>> That involves saving all relevant customizations (and some defvars) and
>> putting them aside, then setting all customization options (and some
>> defvars) back to their default values, and starting Gnus.
>
> Are you intending this mock environment to be used from a running Emacs
> session or from "emacs -Q"?

Being entirely too lazy, I intended it to be run from a running Emacs
session. I was imagining it as sort of a "gnus -Q", as in "please submit
a repro starting with `gnus-mock'".

But realistically that's a dumb idea, and it should be made to be used
from "emacs -Q". That would completely obviate the need for all this
custom-variable tomfoolery. Maybe that stuff could be quietly added but
not encouraged.

The question remains, though: I think several of Gnus' defcustom's might
need :set-after clauses.

Eric