An Emacs benchmarking suite (was: An idea, now that we have dynamic load

From: Siraphob (Ben) Phipathananunth
Subject: An Emacs benchmarking suite (was: An idea, now that we have dynamic loading)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 22:22:47 +0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
John even asked for creation of such a suite of performance tests, but
AFAIK no one has picked the gauntlet till now.

Would it suffice to use Emacs Lisp to run these performance tests
(i.e. using benchmark.el)?  Even so, how would one account for
external factors in the operating system?  Perhaps when the test is
performed, the deltas between commits are given as percentages instead
of CPU time.  Once we have that, it would be great to have tests run
multiple times and/or on various devices to refine the data further.

An area that would be interesting to look at is memory usage of
functions over commits, but I don't know of a way of measuring memory
usage in Emacs (especially over an extended period, to analyze things
such as maximum memory usage).

--
Siraphob (Ben) Phipathananunth