Re: 26.1-rc1: global-set-key suggestions

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: 26.1-rc1: global-set-key suggestions
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 08:09:36 +1000

Just to add another perspective....

I use Emacs on macOS at work and on GNU Linux at home. So for me, one of the great things about Emacs was/is consistency in key bindings across platforms. If we start making bindings different depending on the platform, then you lose that level of consistency.

As this is Emacs, this is not a huge issue as it is easy enough to set them to whatever I want, but thought I'd just mention that making bindings platform dependent may have a downside for those who work in Emacs from different platforms.

Tim

P.S. I've been using Emacs for so long, I tend to change the OS bindings to match with Emacs rather than the other way round. Unfortunately, unlike GNU Linux, macOS does not offer the same level of flexibility in this area

On 13 May 2018 at 23:35, Alan Third <address@hidden> wrote:
On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 07:34:48PM +0700, Siraphob (Ben) Phipathananunth wrote:
> Clément Pit-Claudel wrote:
>
> > I'd prefer binding these to a function that changes the font size on
> > the whole frame, rather than just the current buffer.
>
> This is exactly what I do in my init file:
> https://github.com/siraben/dotfiles/blob/master/emacs/.emacs.d/modules/siraben-fonts.el
>
> Specifically, this is done by using `set-frame-font' which means elements
> such as the mode line are enlarged as well. Note that I am binding the font
> size changes to C-+, C-- and C-=, but it could easily be done with s-+, s--
> and s-= respectively.
>
> I don't see any conflicting key bindings with macOS. What are other
> maintainers' thoughts on this?

I’m no longer sure if we’re talking about just binding these keys on
the NS port or generally, but if it’s just the NS port then I have no
problem with either option. Resizing everything seems to match up most
closely with the other apps I use, but I’m not a heavy user of macOS
specific apps, so I can’t say whether it would be expected behaviour
or not.

--
Alan Third

--