Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Emacs/Mutt and Efail or OpenPGP is safer than S/MIME?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 11:56:32 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Uwe Brauer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The point is that sometimes I receive email containing mathematical
>> formula in png format, which are displayed. So I checked and I have
>>
>> ,----
>> | gnus-blocked-images is a variable defined in ‘gnus-art.el’.
>> | Its value is nil
>
> [...]
>
>> Do I understand that in this case I am vulnerable?
>
> Yes.

That is, if you load external resources, you've vulnerable to
information leakage, and people will track whether you've read their
emails and stuff.

You're not vulnerable to the first form of the S/MIME attack, because
Gnus isn't insane, but you are somewhat vulnerable to the second form
(the one that involves mangling the encrypted PGP payload itself).