Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Should this package be included into the NS port?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 20:15:58 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 09:42:32PM -0400, George Plymale II wrote:
> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > AFAIK server.el uses make-frame-on-display.  Don't know if that has been
> > made to do something useful in the NS port.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Alan, does that answer your question? I'm not sure if we are using
> make-frame-on-display in the NS port.

Sorry, yes. I’ve only got limited time for Emacs at the moment, so I’m
being a bit slow in responding.

This does help, though.

It seems that if you end up in the situation where you’ve only got the
terminal left you can use

    (make-frame-on-display (car (x-display-list)))

to create a new GUI frame, but the problem now is that the Emacs event
the dock menu fires (ns-new-frame) is only available in NS frames (or
something, I’m unclear), so if the current frame is a terminal frame,
and you click on ‘new frame’ in the dock menu, the terminal displays

    <268435468> is undefined

I assume what we need to do is define the ns-new-frame event somewhere
other than nsterm.h, which is where it is now.

This all sounds wrong to me, tbh. But I don’t know of any other way we
can run lisp from within the NSApp run loop than by firing off events
or setting a flag and catching it later.

--
Alan Third