Re: Message's text-properties in *Messages*

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Message's text-properties in *Messages*
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 21:07:37 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 13:41:36 -0400
>
> >> - Why would arbitrary Lisp code be dangerous (I understand that
> >> message_dolog
> >>   can be called from within redisplay, but redisplay runs Elisp code
> >>   at several places, so "from redisplay" doesn't inherently imply you
> >>   can't run Elisp code).
> > When Lisp code is called from redisplay, we always do that via
> > safe_call.  Anything else is not safe, AFAIR.
>
> I see.  This doesn't answer all the questions, tho:

I didn't mean to answer all of them yet, I will need some time to look
at the code.  However, one other thing is pretty much clear:

> - The current code still does
>
>     call0 (intern ("messages-buffer-mode"));
>
>   hence doesn't use safe_call here.

This is called in message_dolog, which doesn't enter redisplay.
Redisplay is triggered in message3_nolog.  So maybe we are mixing two
different issues here, and that comment is not about redisplay at all.
If I'm right, there's no issue with calling Lisp from message_dolog
per se.