Re: EMACS=t Joy and Happiness

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: EMACS=t Joy and Happiness
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 10:50:29 -0700

On 05/24/2018 11:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
How about this idea: At Emacs build time, we check whether Bash is 4.4
or later, and if so we use a term.el that assumes bash 4.4 or later.
Otherwise, we use a term.el that interrogates the shell dynamically for
whether it is shell and if so what its version number is, the first time
that Emacs runs a process under a shell.
The first part will only work if Emacs is used on the same system
where it is built, right

No, it merely assumes that the build Bash version is not greater than the production Bash version. Although this is the typical situation, you're correct that it might not be true in general; if that's a problem (which I doubt), we can easily provide a configure-time option to override the default assumption.