Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 17:07:20 -0400

> My favoured method would be to alter electric-pair--skip-whitespace such
> that a NL terminating a string (as contrasted with a NL terminating a
> comment) would be allowed to be scanned over.

AFAIK no language currently offers "NL terminating strings".  So, we
should indeed behave as if this NL doesn't terminate the string (IIUC
the problem is that CC-mode marks NL-inside-string as if it terminates
a string, but that's just an internal detail which shouldn't have such
visible side-effects.  Personally I'd vote to just not treat
NF-inside-string in such a special way: it's a lot of trouble on the
implementation side for very little benefit to the end user since the
way strings are font-locked makes it trivially obvious to the user
what's going on).

        Stefan