Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; up

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 938d252 4/4: Make regex matching reentrant; update syntax during match
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 11:26:31 -0700

On 06/19/2018 11:16 AM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
Do you think the glib regex maintainers would be amenable to adding 1)
external iterator support (that we'd use to deal with the gap), and 2)
user-pluggable callouts (which we'd use to implement Emacs-specific
assertions)? I'd rather not have a huge pile of ifdefs the way we do now.
I'd much prefer using maintained extension points.

We could add those to Gnulib. I think we could also add them to Glibc eventually, though that would require more consensus. The main question to my mind is whether we'd want the extension points to be visible to Glibc users. If not, most likely we'd need some ifdefs, though I expect we wouldn't need a huge pile of them (as glibc code can assume GCC optimization).