Re: licence and authorship question

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: licence and authorship question
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 21:04:34 +0900

On Jun 30, 2018, at 20:44, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

From: Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:35:39 +0900

If I find a program in C (gpl3) and I adapt it to Emacs Lisp what is the situation regarding
authorship/copyright/licence ?

Please elaborate on what you mean by "adapt it to Emacs Lisp".

It is a single file c source game that you can run from the command line and I would like to rewrite it in elisp.

IANAL, but AFAIK rewriting in a completely different programming
language doesn't qualify as "copying", so for all practical purposes
the Lisp code will be yours and yours alone (although referring to the
C implementation as the source of the general idea and the design
would be a Good Thing).

Thank you. After tweaking a few lines here and there as I've done in the past 12 months, I guess it is time to move to writing a full, even short, program.

Jean-Christophe Helary
http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune