Re: Oldest Emacs alive

From: Lars Brinkhoff
Subject: Re: Oldest Emacs alive
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 20:31:58 +0000

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Lars Brinkhoff wrote:
>> FYI, I have TECO EMACS 24 from November 1976 running.
> Cool! How fast is it? Did you use it to compose and send that email? :-)

It's fine for entering and editing text.  But then it's running in a
PDP-10 emulator which is probably faster than the original hardware.

I don't think there was a TECO package for sending email in 1976. :-)
Recall that EMACS just got started earlier that year.

> Perhaps we should mention TECO EMACS in etc/HISTORY, with an URL to a
> web page that contains the details (is there such a page?).

I just got this running, so I haven't made any proper documentation yet.
Some details are in a GitHub issue, and the files will be in my Emacs
history repository.

http://github.com/PDP-10/its/issues/887
http://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/emacs-history