Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: 27.0.50, (void-function with-buffer-prepared-for-jit-lock)
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 23:06:11 -0400

> I had a similar experience with the macro save-buffer-state in
> font-lock.el.  This macro is restricted by the surrounding
> eval-when-compile.  So when I tried to instrument
> font-lock-default-fontify-region for edebug, edebug assumed
> save-buffer-state was an unknown function, and when I tried to run it,
> it threw an error.

Oh, yes, been there, many times.
Maybe we could look for preceding `eval-when-compile` forms when
instrumenting (as well as when using C-M-x and a few other cases) and
either blindly run them or ask the user.  We already have some similar
code that looks for preceding (defvar FOO) in eval-sexp-add-defvars
maybe we could just extend that.

        Stefan