Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: CC Mode and electric-pair "problem".
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 09:58:33 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 23:50:29 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

[ .... ]

> > What I'm now proposing, and implementing as a trial, is to enhance the
> > syntax table facilities to support unterminated strings.

> Oh indeed, complexity calls for yet more complexity.

New features call for new code.  How can you disparage the new code as
"(unacceptable) complexity" when you haven't even seen it?

A good point is, who should decide how these strings should be fontified?
Three possible answers are an individual on the Emacs core team, the
major mode author, the user.

Over this entire thread you've been exceedingly negative.  You have
disparaged at least two ways of doing what's wanted, without suggesting
any other, better, way.  You seem to be saying "this is
difficult/complicated, so we'll just work around the problem/pretend it
isn't really a problem, rather than solving it".

So, please let's have your technical proposal for how to fontify
unterminated strings in the "new way".

[ .... ]

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).