Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: A couple of questions and concerns about Emacs network security
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 12:20:54 -0700

Perry E. Metzger wrote:
The security of OpenSSL is, so far as I can tell, more reliably
managed.

Yes, OpenSSL is surely the best choice for current applications, despite its obvious drawbacks. That being said, Emacs shouldn't be tied down to OpenSSL, just as it should not be tied down to GnuTLS. There is currently quite a bit of interest in replacing OpenSSL with something better, and with luck we'll see improvements in the not-too-distant future. We insulate Emacs users from this turmoil as best we can.

Here's a useful paper for those of us not plugged into recent work in the area:

Halpin H. A roadmap for high assurance cryptography. FPS 2017. https://hal.inria.fr/hal-01673294