Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 11:22:33 +0300

> From: Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 06:44:37 +0200
> Cc: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> >  . How do you explain in CONTRIBUTE what should and what shouldn't be
> >    in a log message?  We have trouble getting contributors to follow
> >    the current format; this one will leave us no levers to ask them to
> >    do it correctly, I think.  The same situation exists with comments,
> >    but comments we can fix by followup commits, whereas log messages
> >    are carved in stone once pushed.
>
> I don't think CONTRIBUTE is very clear on how to actually make your
> commit message comply with the standards anyway.

If the text in CONTRIBUTE is unclear or needs more details, your
comments and suggestions to improve it will be welcome.

> I could try to make some simple change to see where the friction is so
> that CONTRIBUTE can be made better, or even create a detailed technical
> HOWTO explaining the steps you should take to create a correct commit
> message.

If you can afford it, please show such an explanation.

FWIW, I pretty much certain that it is impossible to provide such
instructions and yet keep your goal, because what Ted actually wants
is total freedom in what text is written, and to what depth and detail
level it should describe the change.  IMO and IME, trying to give too
specific instructions there will cause someone else, perhaps even
yourself, complain that the bar is too high again...  But don't let
that prevent you from trying to change my mind and the mind of others.

Thanks.