Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:56:08 -0700

Radon Rosborough wrote:
naturally the maintainers all have extensive
experience with using the existing tooling and are inclined to think
it is easier to use than it actually is.

I'm not inclined to think that way at all, and I have more experience with using the existing tooling than most. ChangeLog was designed before software tools like Git were common, and the format's insistence on recording details easily findable elsewhere wastes my time and my readers' time, as well as being a barrier to entry as you mention. Unfortunately, we have not been able to convince RMS to fix the format, even though it really needs an upgrade.