Re: Use of "Action stamps" in commit messages

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Use of "Action stamps" in commit messages
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 21:59:19 +0300

> Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:15:20 -0400
> From: "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> I'm against this change because I think in the long term.  Someday Emacs
> will change VCSes again.  On the day, whoever is charged with the move is
> going to curse the perpetrators if he has to deal with a semi-infinite number
> of variant ways of pasting together the data and commit parts of your
> proposed IDs.

I think the idea is that the date/time and the header line identify
the commit well enough to be able to find it using VCS commands.

> I know of two efforts underway to make cgit and git itself aware of the
> action-stamp format. Have patience.  Soon enough you'll be able to treat
> action stampts as hotlinks that your software will chase for you.

I'm not sure having hyperlinks justifies the trouble of having to
concoct those stamps.  In a repository such as we have in Emacs, a
time stamp should allow you to find the commit fairly easily, I think.