Re: bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:00:25 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 21:04:38 +0100
>
> The problem is that if EMACS_INT is "long long", then the calls to
> mpz_*_si() API routines will truncate any values passed to GMP. This
> means that emacs cannot use any the mpz_*_si() routines directly.

Right, I see what you mean now: all those APIs accept 'long' or
'unsigned long' as the integral type.  So this is a limitation of GMP
as of now.  This message:

  https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2016-March/005966.html

indicates that GMP developers plan to address this in version 7, but
the current master branch of GMP is still on version 6, so I guess it
will be a while.

Btw, I had a cursory look at the GMP sources, and it seemed to me that
changing GMP to lift this limitation should not be too hard.  The
patch shown in this message:

  https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2016-March/005965.html

seems to confirm that.  So maybe someone could build GMP with MinGW64
after applying that patch, and if it works, submit the patches to
MSYS2 guys so that they could release a fixed library.  Then Emacs
won't need to jump through these hoops on 64-bit Windows systems.