Re: bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 10:31:04 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Btw, I had a cursory look at the GMP sources, and it seemed to me that
changing GMP to lift this limitation should not be too hard.  The
patch shown in this message:

   https://gmplib.org/list-archives/gmp-discuss/2016-March/005965.html

seems to confirm that.  So maybe someone could build GMP with MinGW64
after applying that patch, and if it works, submit the patches to
MSYS2 guys so that they could release a fixed library.  Then Emacs
won't need to jump through these hoops on 64-bit Windows systems.

It'd still have to jump through the hoops for 32-bit systems --with-wide-int, though. Instead, how about fixing our GMP substitute source code to work for this situation, and fall back on it when GMP proper doesn't handle long long? That should work for both 32-bit --with-wide-int and MinGW64, and won't require us to wait for any action on the part of MSYS2 or the GMP maintainers.