Re: Changing a cl-defstruct definition in a published package

From: Jake
Subject: Re: Changing a cl-defstruct definition in a published package
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 17:34:07 -0400

Oh I see. I think that I've actually misunderstood the use-package code and that's precisely the behavior they're going for: they want to install the package immediately not when use-package is being byte-compiled, but when it is being used from any file that is being byte-compiled. So it works for them, but it's not the behavior we want here.

On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 5:11 PM Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> (message
>  (eval-when-compile
>    (if (bound-and-true-p byte-compile-current-file)
>        "I'm being byte-compiled!"
>      "I'm being evaluated :(")))

Let's say, this is in a file foo.el.  And let's say we have a file
bar.el which contains:

   (require 'foo)

Then byte-compiling bar.el (when foo.el has not been byte-compiled)
will emit a message "I'm being byte-compiled!".

But yes, there are other ways.  I think I remember using something like

    (setq my-witness t)

    (eval-when-compile
      (message (if (bound-and-true-p my-witness)
                 "Byte-compiling this file")))

    (setq my-witness nil)

in the past,

        Stefan