Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'e

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'eight-bit' charset
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 16:53:21 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 08:38:56 -0400
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> >                            (char-charset char))))
> > +           ;; TIS620.2533 overlaps eight-bit-control, but we want to
> > +           ;; show eight-bit for raw bytes, not some obscure character
> > +           ;; set no one heard of.
> > +           (charset (if (eq charset 'tis620-2533)
> > +                        'eight-bit
> > +                      charset))
>
> Do we need `char-charset` to return `tis620-2533` for these, or could we
> instead of the above change `char-charset` to return `eight-bit` or
> `eight-bit-control`?

I don't know, because I don't understand why in this situation we
return tis620-2533 instead of eight-bit.  Maybe it's intended, and
maybe it's just a side effect of how we implement char-charset.

The above change is safe, more-or-less, because it only affects how we
display information about characters.  Making an equivalent change
inside char-charset would affect all users of that API.