Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 05:38:37 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 14:58:15 -0700
>
> Not at all. In practice, floating point computations favor values like 0.0
> and
> 100.0 where the bottom 3 bits of the representation are zero. True,
> computations
> involving random floating-point numbers will get such values only 1/8 of the
> time; but Emacs computations are not typically random.
>
> Any changes in this area should be aimed at typical Emacs usage. If we can
> get a
> performance win when Emacs compiles itself, that'd be a good sign, though of
> course not conclusive.

Emacs compiling itself is not a typical use of floats in Emacs, IMO.
It's a very specialized use case, which is very rare in normal usage
of Emacs.  I typically build a production release of Emacs just once,
and then use it for many moons.

If we want to claim that typical usage of floats in Emacs favors
round values, we need to back that up by some data.