RE: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 12:37:39 -0700 (PDT)

> > There actually is an icon that is unambiguous: the "a-z" or "z-a" one:
>
> I'd actually prefer it to be 0-9 rather a-z (for non-latin-script
> users), but yes, this is a fairly clear choice.

1. Neither is great, IMO. The icon should express low-to-high or small-to-large
in a _general_ way, and not suggest either an alphabetic or a numeric order.

What do you do with a date column whose values might be any ISO date format?
Assuming that the actual sorting is by date (not its representation), neither
a-z nor 0-9 suggests what's happening.

2.  Personally, I don't see the difference between this proposal:

   _
  ___
 _____
_______

and a triangle with vertex on top (like ^). The same ambiguity arises:
Does it represent the current sort order (low-to-high / small-to-large)?
Or does it represent the new sort order you'll get if you use that button?

IIUC, the MS Windows approach (for column-sort indicators) is to reflect the
current sort order, the same way that a bold or underlined column header
indicates that the column is selected (current).

And apparently other, non-Windows contexts take the approach that the icon
represents the new order you'll get if you click the icon.

How does the proposed sequence of lines of increasing/decreasing length solve
the problem of ambiguity?