Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 08:14:30 +1000

It is likely the OP is running Emacs from the packaged keg version from Homebrew (Homebrew has 2 emacs recipes, one which downloads the soruces and builds and one which downloads the pre-built binary from the emacs for mac osx site). My suggestion would be to remove the installed Emacs and then install the base recipe version that downloads the sources and builds in /usr/local tree. Once they have worked things out and know how to get things working to access the remote site, they can switch back to the pre-built version if they prefer.

However, putting all that aside, I'm not sure the OP needs to go through all of this anyway. For what they are doing, the version of tramp which is included in Emacs should be fine to verify they can do what they want. It isn't clear what changes they are trying to make or why they need separate sources from savannah. Unless the OP is implementing a whole new protocol for ftrampj, they probably only need to adjust some of the tramp config variables.

On Fri, 3 Aug 2018 at 06:50, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Van L <address@hidden> writes:

>> How have you
>> installed Emacs? I guess it is a distribution on macOS, which hasn't
>> included the test suite. You will see it, whether your Emacs
>> installation comes with the file test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el.
>>
>> Pls check this first, and if the file does not exist, ask the
>> distributor of your Emacs, whether all the Emacs tests can be provided
>> as well.
>
> `make install' does not copy the tests to target directories from what I can tell.

I'm not sure the OP runs anything like "make". Looks rather like an
Emacs distribution to me.

Best regards, Michael.

--
regards,