Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2018 19:29:50 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> > execute-command-asynchronously?
>>
>> Sounds too general to me, because it is about *file* visiting and saving.
>>
>> execute-file-command-asynchronously?
>
> But I _wanted_ it to be general, far beyond just file-related
> commands.  I though that was what was being discussed: to have a
> convenient way of running a command, any command that supported it,
> asynchronously.  Was I mistaken?

find-file-asynchronously is defined to be file-related (as of now):

Documentation:
Non-nil means visit file asynchronously when called interactively.
If it is a regular expression, it must match the file name to be
visited.  This behavior is toggled by a prefix argument to the
interactive call.

> In any case, why should there be a separate command to force just the
> file-related commands work asynchronously?

I don't speak a bout a separate command. I speak about the user option,
which I have introduced for the find-file family of commands. I believe
the name find-file-asynchronously is too tight (doesn't cover save-buffer
and friends), and execute-command-asynchronously is too wide (because it
shall configure file-related command behavior, with the regexp as value).

Best regards, Michael.