Re: bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:58:20 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

I don't see why managing the library matters here, since linking
statically makes sure Emacs always uses the same library against which
it was linked.

That's exactly what we don't want, at least not on a well-managed system like Ubuntu, Red Hat, etc. where we will want the standard libgmp that everybody uses. These GNUish systems are very good about maintaining compatibility when libraries like libgmp change.

Other projects link statically against libraries without any issues.
See GDB, for example.

No, on the systems that I'm talking about, GDB links dynamically against libgmp. As does GCC and every other GNU package I know. There are good reasons for this, and Emacs shouldn't try to fight them. If MS-Windows has a different tradition then fine, Emacs can use static linking on MS-Windows. But Emacs should not use static linking on GNU/Linux distributions, or on other POSIXish systems.