Re: bignum branch

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: bignum branch
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 16:11:36 +0100

On Tue 14 Aug 2018, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 00:13:54 +0100
>>
>> > It may also be a good idea to report the problem with gmp.h to the
>> > MSYS2 forum, they should fix the header anyway.  (Mingw.org already
>> > fixed theirs, as I reported related problems, not about Emacs, a few
>> > months ago.)
>>
>> Looking at the MSYS2 on github, there was a pull request to fix the
>> broken header install problem for GMP, but the maintainers dropped it:
>> <https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/pull/3941>
>
> It sounds like they want GMP and MPFR to be available only for static
> linking, "for simplicity".  That is OK, and is their prerogative, but
> then the package should come without the libgmp.dll.a import library
> (and maybe even without the DLL), because the GNU linker will prefer
> linking against the DLL if it sees the import library.  IOW, their
> decision seems to be inconsistent with the package contents.

Yes, that was my conclusion too.

> (Assuming that the import library you have is not a left-over from
> some old installation, that is.)

No, the lib is cleanly installed from the package. My earlier
experiments with removing the import library before linking and then
reinstalling the package elicited a warning from the package manager
about the missing file, which was then reinstalled (all as expected).

It seems the answer is patch the header manually , or avoid -Og builds.
I have not yet tried an -O2 build to see if that works.

    AndyM