Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 14:27:58 +0200

> As user, I would be surprised if a new frame appears suddenly.

Such a frame is like a dialog box - nothing special.  And as user, I
would never launch 250 threads in parallel.  But YMMV.

I do not use Emacs for copying files because I dislike dired and am
used to Commander-like (two-pane) file management.  The Emacs
commander is too light-weight for my taste.  One typical use case here
goes as follows: I mark a number of files and ask the commander to
copy them to the other pane's directory.  The commander pops up a new
window, asks for confirmation, and, through that window, tells me how
much has been copied and how much is left.

In that window, the commander also gives me the opportunity to, at any
time, pause, resume and cancel copying.  And it allows to do copying
in a non-blocking "background" mode.  That latter option is quite
valuable because I only after some time may detect that copying takes
too long and I would like to perform some other synchronous activity
before it has finished.

In this scenario, the entire copying operation is controlled by the
window dedicated to that copying thread and all my dialog with that
thread goes through that window (and maybe some modal child window
popping up on top of it).  Maybe I'm biased - but I would still
consider this a worthwhile behavior.

martin