Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Gemini Lasswell
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:17:16 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Then there's the issue of passing the result to the prompting thread.
> Unless you want to ask the programmer of that thread's function to
> write specialized code for user interaction, the prompting thread
> expects to get the keyboard input through the normal input machinery,
> like read_key_sequence.  How will that be possible with the "queue"
> model?

Thanks, I understand the difficulties better now.

>> The user should, as now, be able to type C-x C-o or C-x 5 o during
>> read-from-minibuffer, and perform unrelated commands on another buffer.
>
> This means some of the user input should go to the prompting thread,
> while some other part ("C-x C-o" in your example) should go to the
> main thread, so that it switches to another frame.  How will Emacs
> know which part of user input is intended to what thread?

I don't know, but I frequently leave minibuffer prompts, usually with my
keybinding for avy-find-char-timer, but sometimes using C-x o or C-x 5 o,
and return to them later.  I also have enable-recursive-minibuffers set.

So from my point of view as an Emacs user, I want to be able to continue
to do this, whether the minibuffer prompt I'm looking at came from the
main thread or some other thread.