Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 17:43:07 +0300

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,
> address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2018 14:52:41 +0200
>
> > I don't see how this would solve the problem, since thread IDs will
> > always be quite short.
>
> I don´t understand this.  I thought requests for input would be queued
> in such a way that the users can look at the queue when ever they see
> fit, and the information in the queue along with the prompts would make
> it obvious to the users what each request is about.
>
> Wouldn't that be much better than having requests for input and the
> threads that created them fight over the mini-buffer and interrupt the
> user once they can hijack the mini-buffer?

You need to catch up with the discussion ;-)  We all but agreed that
threads should not "fight" one another.  Still, when Emacs decides
that a certain thread is granted access to the minibuffer and can
interact with the user, how will the user know which of the N threads
asks them the question, and for what purpose?  The correct answer
could well depend on that.  As a trivial example, consider 2 threads,
one copying files, the other removing files.  How do you know whether
to confirm or not when the prompt says just "FOO (y or n)?"