Re: Some developement questions

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2018 19:52:17 +0200

I find the new one a little bit more simple, very basic, but some
details are updated in a less technical language. It assumes that for
new users coming from windows, vim, sublime, Visual Studio...; Emacs
will be a more different (hard maybe) experience than what they expect
and are used to. (For example coping with C-c, C-v, and having an undo
and a redo option is an absolute standard thing today and it is still
different in emacs; also nobody uses the words yank, kill, reinsert
anymore, the people looks for how to cut, copy and paste)

The actual tutorial is fine, but in my modest opinion I would like to
suggest some pedagogical changes like divide it by numbered lessons, put
numbers to the tasks, add summaries per lesson, some aesthetic
horizontal lines... Please, give a look for example to the vimtutor. It
has a very good approach in this aspects.

Respecting to content maybe some details about using overwrite-mode
(using the Insert key of course), moving/copping/switching
lines/words/letters, interactive replace (M-%) shell commands (M-| and
M-! and in-place insertion), insert-buffer/file and equivalent
commands. Practical examples about killing N words or N lines and paste
them somewhere else. Goto line is also important on the beginning.

In i think that the emacs tutorial should explain at least the same
points than vimtutor respecting to text edition because that's the first
thing the user expects to do in emacs. If some edition actions in the
vimtutor are not possible or very complex to do in emacs maybe we need
to consider how to add them in a simpler way because they are very basic
(for example copy the current line requires C-a C-SPC C-e M-w). These
details are more important and basic for a new user than recursive
editing modes or talking about multiple frames/windows in the first day.

We should also mention there helpful things like which-key, ido-mode, linum
which makes our lives easier.

Does it makes sense?