Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2018 00:40:00 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: hw <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 17:43:32 +0200

>> > That's what -dDISPLAY option is about, AFAIK.
>>
>> But that would be unsave ...
>>
>> Using 'ssh -Y' didn't work too well, either.  The Emacs daemon crashed
>> when it wasn't able to draw the contents of the frames correctly and I
>> had to close them because they were entirely unresponsive.
>
> What makes you think emacsclient will do any better in this scenario?

That way, it worked a couple days until it crashed, which was better
than using it directly, which didn't work at all and is unsafe.

> After all, you still want the Emacs X frame be displayed on the same
> machine, and the data be moved over the same network.

X frames could be displayed on both machines (I'm usually not running an
X session on the server, but I could) and would usually be displayed on
the remote machine.

That is what 'ssh -Y' provides; you can set DISPLAY to point to the
remote machine, run the program locally and have everything displayed
remotely --- without the remote X server listening to the network and
the data transfer encrypted, all like magic.

That means you log in to the remote machine with 'ssh -Y', set DISPLAY
and start some program on the remote machine, and the program uses the
local X session like programs running locally do.