Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: hw
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2018 11:18:43 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
> Feel free to start a user poll, though: if it turns out I'm the only
> one who thinks delete-selection-mode is inappropriate in programming
> modes, we can make it the default; I can easily turn it off in my
> configuration.  Though I would urge people to actually try this in
> programming modes before responding, and in any case the poll should
> request to provide the major modes used with the responses.

When a selection is active, why would anyone assume that typing an
arbitrary letter is supposed to replace the entire selection, or to
disable it?  Allowing that to happen is simply a design flaw, or an
oversight.  And if that was allowed, it would be a case-specific
decision whether the selection should be replaced or disabled, not a
general one decidable by a default.

I would vote for a "strict-mode", or "static-selection-mode", meaning
that when a selection is active, typing an arbitrary letter makes Emacs
beep and otherwise do nothing.  It is always an accident when I type an
arbitrary letter while a selection is active, and it only makes the
accident worse when the selection is replaced, or disabled and the
letter is entered into the buffer.

Either I want to do something with a selection or not.  There is no
in-between.