Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default (WAS: Some developement questions)
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2018 13:25:27 -0400

On 2018-09-08 01:13, Richard Stallman wrote:
> It seems to me that the people who like delete-selection-mode
> are those who are used to some similar behavior in some other
> editor and have not truly got used to Emacs.

I think that might be begging the question, actually.  Or, at least, this
argument can be applied to any Emacs default, if that default doesn't align
with what other editors do.

In other words, sufficiently proficient users of Emacs will get used to all of
its defaults, or change them.  That doesn't mean that they are all good
defaults.

delete-selection-mode might be a good default; I don't know. I tend to think
that we should only diverge from the behavior of other programs if it yields
significant benefits.  I see lossless undo, kill ring, undo-in-region, and many
other features as yielding significant benefits, worth the divergence from
other more typical behavior.  I don't see delete-selection-mode being off in
the same way.  That could be because I don't see all that it offers.

Clément.