Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 01:23:53 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: hw <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 15:02:51 +0200
> [...]
>>
>> Beginners will probably consider "the normal way to do cursor motion in
>> Emacs" as the most complicated and awkward way to do cursor motion
>> anywhere.
> [...]
>> Tutorials which take this into account more strongly might be more
>> encouraging to use Emacs in the first place, and then beginners might
>> want to learn the special movement keys.
>
> The Emacs tutorial already mentions the arrow keys, before it teaches
> the more ergonomic cursor motion keys.

My point is not which particular keys to use but that the tutorial
doesn't fly because it makes false assumptions ---

in this case about the efficiency with which certain keys can be pressed
which largely depends on

+ the users and their skill-level in 10-finger typing,

+ the equipment in use and

+ the difficulty of un-learning the usage of arrow keys which might have
  already been practised to a rather high and extremely efficient
  skill-level over decades and is still needed everywhere else

--- which lead the tutorial to lengthly go into explanations about
irrelevant key bindings rather than about relevant ones which prevents
it from picking up beginners where they think they are so that
confidence can be instilled in them that they can learn Emacs, and trust
that Emacs isn't difficult to use at all.