Re: documentation of integers, fixnums and bignums

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: documentation of integers, fixnums and bignums
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 08:42:33 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2018 18:03:37 -0400
>
> AFAIK any Unicode codepoint fits in 22 (or even 21?) bits, and while we
> may use a few extra codepoints IIUC in some corner cases, it should all
> fit comfortably within our 28 bits of FIXNATs.

Unicode codepoints have almost nothing to do with this, since nowadays
encode-char is mostly a no-op with Unicode character set.  Its main
use is with non-Unicode charsets, and there we cannot apply the
knowledge of the Unicode code-space, we cannot even assume the
code-space is populated densely as in Unicode.