Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:30:07 +0300

> From: Yuri Khan <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 12:16:34 +0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:15 AM Joost Kremers <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> * a U+2022 BULLET • if the buffer is visiting a file and modified, and
> nothing otherwise;
> * a U+1F512 LOCK 🔒 if it is visiting a file and read-only, and
> nothing otherwise;
> * a U+1F5AC SOFT SHELL FLOPPY DISK 🖬 if using DOS end-of-lines, or
> U+2318 PLACE OF INTEREST SIGN ⌘ if using Mac end-of-lines, nothing if
> using Unix end-of-lines, and a question mark ? otherwise.

An image of a floppy disk is generally used for saving something to
disk, so I think it would be better to use it for the "modified"
marker, perhaps even with mouse click on it invoking save-buffer.

As for using these images for EOL format, I guess their mnemonic
significance is something to your personal experience, because I would
not have guessed why a floppy means DOS/Windows, what with GNU/Linux
nowadays being ubiquitous on small devices and PCs.  I don't see any
emoticons that strike me as appropriate, but perhaps we could design
small icons of our own instead.