Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 10:19:10 -0400

> A lot of Emacs commands put a mark before moving "far away" (for some
> value of "far"), the reason being that the user might want to return
> there.  What would you suggest as a "different habit" for returning to
> that previous place, instead of "C-x C-x"?
> And, btw, I find nothing wrong with this habit of mine, the only
> problem here is that someone decided that "C-x C-x" should activate
> the region.

I don't find anything wrong with it either, but C-x C-x doesn't serve
you well currently for this reason (this is a problem that affects more
than d-s-m).  It does two different (tho related) things, and for some
users this isn't right.

For use-cases like yours, you'd probably be better served by swapping
the behavior of `C-x C-x` and `C-u C-x C-x` (i.e. make it so `C-x C-x`
only activates the region if you specifically ask for it with C-u).

Or split the two into two separate commands:
- one to exchange mark and point.
- another to (re)activate the region.

>> So I'm not sure it's an argument against d-s-m, really.
> Indeed, it could be an argument against "C-x C-x" and/or
> transient-mark-mode, except that "C-x C-x" was there first.

Exactly,

        Stefan