Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and s

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and shape of a new window in a frame
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2018 09:38:06 -0700

"N. Jackson" <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Eric,
>
> At 13:12 -0700 on Wednesday 2018-09-12, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

>>> Evaluating the second form gives:
>>>
>>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function article)
>>
>> Yup, that was a cut-and-paste problem from my larger config. Just stick
>> a ` before the "(article" part.
>
> After quoting with a ' (not a `) and removing the comma before the
> `cond', this does exactly what I was looking for. I now have the
> following in my .gnus file:

That code was taken from EBDB, where I wanted to make sure the pop-up
worked correctly regardless of whether the user used Gnus trees or not:
you could just delete the cond and one of the branches, depending on
whether you use tree view or not.

>;;; 2018-09-12 Arrange for Gnus to place BBDB window sensibly.
>   (add-to-list 'gnus-window-to-buffer
>              `(bbdb-gnus . "*BBDB*"))
>   (gnus-add-configuration
>    '(article
>      (cond
>       (gnus-use-trees
>        '(vertical 1.0
>                 (summary 0.25 point)
>                 (tree 0.25)
>                 (horizontal 1.0
>                             (article 1.0)
>                             (bbdb-gnus 0.4))))
>       (t
>        '(vertical 1.0
>                 (summary 0.25 point)
>                 (horizontal 1.0
>                             (article 1.0)
>                             (bbdb-gnus 0.4)))))))
>

> However, it seems odd to be able to get this:
>
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                               |
>   |           Summary             |
>   |                               |
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   |           Article             |
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   |-------------------------------|
>   |            BBDB               |
>   +-------------------------------+
>
> and this:
>
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                   |           |
>   |      Summary      |   BBDB    |
>   |                   |           |
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   |            Article            |
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   |                               |
>   +-------------------------------+
>
> simply by customizing the variable `bbdb-mua-pop-up', but in order
> to get
>
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                               |
>   |           Summary             |
>   |                               |
>   +-------------------------------+
>   |                   |           |
>   |                   |           |
>   |                   |           |
>   |      Article      |   BBDB    |
>   |                   |           |
>   |                   |           |
>   |                   |           |

> the user has to do some fairly heavy-duty configuration in Gnus. I'm
> impressed by the power of this feature in Gnus, but it feels like
> overkill for a case like this.

I haven't used BBDB for a while, but I could have sworn there was
someplace where you can put a predicate callable that could return the
window to split. I think it was the HORIZ-P argument to
`bbdb-pop-up-window' that can be a function (it should return t when it
is called with the article window as an argument), but now I don't
remember how the HORIZ-P predicate gets passed in.